I am always amazed at how many times I hear the world "beautiful" every day, used in a variety of ways. I'm talking about everything from "you look beautiful today" to "that's a beautiful shirt," used as an adjective or even as a noun, "she's one of the beautiful people." What the tarnation does that mean?? We use this word daily as a noun, adjective, and interjection so flippantly that its power and value are diminished greatly. I know; I do it as well. Over the years, I've searched for better and greater ways to compliment, explore, and define. I had an experience today that makes me want to rethink how I personally use this word.
Now, like every woman in the world, I love for someone to tell me I look beautiful or I am beautiful. If people say they don't like it, then they are BIG FAT LIARS!! All women, and most men, put great importance on physical appearance. As I've gotten older, I've realized I would rather have someone tell me I have a beautiful spirit, or heart, or nature. With that being said, a nice compliment is still a treasure.
I took my dogs for a walk early this morning along the bayou by my home. I pulled my hair back in a pony tail, threw on my shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes and headed out. I jogged for 15 minutes or so and worked up quite a sweat. I then proceeded to walk the rest of the time, my hair matted, perspiration literally dripping from my arms and legs. I took my arm and wiped my face with the sleeve of my now stinky t-shirt. I had that nice runners high, my endorphins elevated and a smile on my face. I was just passing a man for the 3rd time. He was middle-aged, somewhat attractive, I guess, and had a nice physique. (in full disclosure to my husband, I didn't even notice ANY of that until the 3rd pass, or maybe the 2nd) and he gave me a dazzling smile and asked how I was doing. In my polite, southern way, I replied I was "great" and "have a nice day."
Now, if you know me at all, you know paranoia runs in abundance in my family. I think this robust exchange and smile from the stranger made me a little weary. My mom and nanny's words of caution replayed in my head and I turned around just to make sure he wasn't following me. It might be early in the morning, but psychos don't have time frames. Maybe he was stalking me and I'd not being paying attention. As I turned around, he gave me another smile and had turned around to approach me. My heart started beating out of my chest!
I formulated a plan. I was a pretty fast runner, but didn't want to leave my dogs behind. The closest neighborhood would take me a few minutes to reach. I could scream, but that would probably fall on deaf ears. I touched my cellphone and dialed 911. I would press it if I felt I needed to, and would scream so they would know I was in danger. Not the best plan, but it would have to suffice. They could track my dead body to the spot near the woods.
I did not slow down, and in fact sped up as I made my way back toward the neighborhood. The man fell in step with me and my dogs. They didn't care either. If anything, they would only lick him to death if something happened. To them, there are no strangers. My heart was beating so loudly I could hear it and realized I was holding my breath. I was near panic. Again, the stranger smiled. He said "hi, I'm Mike and I noticed you earlier. I am going to get right to the point. I am a 50 year old, divorced father of 3 grown kids and I think you are beautiful. I just wanted to see if you are married, and if not, could I meet you for dinner sometime?"
I stopped dead in my tracks. He stopped as well. I must have looked stunned because he repeated what he'd just said. I struggled to reset my internal compass. I realized I really wasn't in any danger. He was merely a lonely jogger on a quest to find his soul mate. We had reached the gate by the neighborhood and I felt safer. I let out a long sigh and turned to the man. I thanked him for his compliment, but told him I was happily married but good luck in his search. He politely nodded his head and turned back toward the path. My knees buckled and I walked slowly back home.
Now, I reflected on his comments. He told me I was "beautiful." REALLY? I think it might have been me at my very worst point beauty-wise in the last few days. He didn't know me; he was simply looking at me, physically, and decided to use the word beautiful when he spoke with me. It struck me then and there how much we abuse this word. It is a word of wonder and is the pinnacle of compliments. I certainly didn't qualify in any way, shape, or form for this level of praise. I promised then and there that I wouldn't abuse this word any more. Babies are beautiful; sunsets are beautiful; kind words and love from your family are beautiful. I did not qualify this morning. I will monitor my use of this and other similar words that are over-used and abused. Of course, after my heard stopped beating out of my chest and I settled down, I smiled. A strange man had stopped me and told me I was beautiful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a treat to read your log. You are beautiful . Grandmother used to say the decisions you make in your youth will show on your face when you mature. You have always been a girl, woman of grace. But yes I can say holding my Aidan was beautiful. The rainbow God sent the night the angels took him home - beautiful. My mothers hands - beautiful.
ReplyDelete